Savannah to Tropics Birding Tour
Tour Spot Available
Queensland’s Gulf & Savannah birding
This tour is desgined to link our preceding Nine Grasswren and following Tropical & Far North Queensland birding tours, as a pleasant alternative to get from Mount Isa to Cairns. It can be taken as a stand-alone tour as well. We will be exploring the Gulf and Savannah country, the stark landscape around Mount Isa and the lush tropical highlands surrounding Cairns. The trip is run during the dry season, generally a great time to go birding in this region as the weather will be balmy and birds abound.
Birdwatching in Queensland’s Gulf & Savannah
During these 8 days we expect to see up to 200 species, including sought-after birds such as Purple-crowned Fairy-wren, Buff-sided Robin, up to 8 species of finch including Black-throated Finch; Great-billed Heron, White-breasted Whistler, Red-headed Honeyeater, Mangrove Fan-tail, Mangrove Robin, Yellow White-eye, Sandstone and Bower’s Shrike-thrush, Golden Bowerbird, Flock Bronzewing, Spinifex Pigeon and even the enigmatic Grey Falcon. Visiting Lawn Hill NP, Georgetown, Karumba, Cumberland Dam and the Atherton Tablelands, we’ll explore a variety of habitats: deep red sandstone gorges and pandanus-lined creeks, mangroves, coastal mudflats, endless grassy plains, open woodlands and lush tropical forests. There’s even the option to take a cruise to the famous seabird colonies on the Great Barrier Reef.
The tour runs from Mount Isa to Cairns. Our 2023 departures are full. Our 2024 departure is open for booking – download the brochure using the green button. This tour has it all, enquire now!
- Pictorella Mannikin, Black-throated Finch, Chestnut- breasted Munia
- Purple-crowned Fairy-wren, Buff-sided Robin, Mangrove Robin
- Mangrove Golden Whistler, White-breasted Whistler, Yellow White-eye
- Spotted Nightjar, Australian Owlet-nightjar, Australasian Darter
- Great-billed Heron, Golden Bowerbird, Black-necked Stork
- Red-headed Honeyeater, Mangrove Fantail, Mangrove Gerygone
- Sandstone Shrikethrush, Spinifex & Squatter Pigeon
- …and many more!