Peninsular Malaysia Birding Tour
Tour Spot Available
Malaysia Birding Tour
Safe, comfortable and reliable. This is the perfect tour for those who have always wanted to bird South-east Asia but have had some reservations – until now, that is! Join us on our Peninsular Malaysia tour and be amazed at how sophisticated and modern this country has become in the past two decades.
Travelling and birding here are a breeze and Malaysia has many fascinating and beautiful birds awaiting us. We’ll stay at comfortable, quality accommodation where a range of food is on offer to suit all taste-buds; the road network is extensive and excellent, while the locals are friendly, accommodating and helpful.
Birdwatching in Malaysia
And the birds…there’s an amazing variety to be observed and added to your list, ranging from the stately Crested Fireback and magnificent Rhinoceros Hornbill to forest floor gems like Banded Pitta and Striped Wren-Babbler. Other specialities we have a good chance of observing include Black-thighed Falconet, Large Green Pigeon, Black-bellied Malkoha, Blue-rumped Parrot, Reddish Scops Owl, Rufous-backed Kingfisher, Banded Woodpecker, Banded Pitta, Black Magpie, Crested Jay, Black-throated and White-necked Babblers, Large Wren-Babbler, Long-billed Spiderhunter and Crimson-breasted Flowerpecker. We should also come across at least one of Taman Negara’s most difficult specialities, which include the extraordinary Great Argus, Malayan Peacock-Pheasant, Rufous-collared Kingfisher, the strange Rail-Babbler and Grey-chested Jungle Flycatcher.
Our Peninsular Malaysia tour explores one of the richest areas for birds in Southeast Asia, featuring Kuala Selangor mangroves, cool Fraser’s Hill and the world-famous rainforests of Taman Negara National Park.
On your tour you’ll be accompanied by an Australian bird guide who also, and importantly, will make sure all the arrangements run smoothly. Nothing beats local expertise when it comes to locating and identifying the birds, and we’re proud to announce that we’ve secured the services of one of Malaysia’s best bird guides for your tour. A dedicated and fully qualified driver will make sure your travel is safe and smooth and will allow the two guides to concentrate on finding the birds for you..!
We have run this tour annually since 2014 and each time recorded well over 210 bird species, with many highlights including Rhinoceros Hornbill, Banded Pitta, Black-bellied Malkoha, Blue-rumped Parrot, Reddish Scops Owl, Banded Woodpecker, Crested Jay, Large Wren-Babbler, Long-billed Spiderhunter, Crimson-breasted Flowerpecker, Malayan Peacock-Pheasant, four species of Leafbirds, and the highly sought-after Malaysian Rail-Babbler, to name but a few. Interesting mammals we have encountered included Malaysian Taipir, Smooth Otter, Slow Loris, Leopard Cat, 5 spp of primates and 7 spp of squirrels.
- Mountain & Malayan Peacock-Pheasant, Wreathed Hornbill
- Black Hornbill, Pink-necked & Thick-billed Green Pigeon
- Silver-breasted & Banded Broadbill
- Raffles’s, Red-billed Malkoha
- Grey-rumped & Whiskered Treeswift, Lesser Shortwing
- Scarlet-rumped & Red-headed Trogon, Banded Kingfisher
- Rufous-collared Kingfisher, Fire-tufted, Red-crowned & Blue-eared Barbet
- Rhinoceros Hornbill, Red-bearded & Blue-throated Bee-eater
- Crested Serpent Eagle, Changeable Hawk-eagle, Falconets
- White-bellied, Banded, Maroon & other Woodpeckers
- Malayan Banded & Garnett’s Pitta
- Up to 18 spp of Bulbul
- Pygmy Wren-babbler, Blue-winged Minla, Silver-eared Mesia
- Chestnut-capped & Malayan Laughingthrush
- Long-tailed Sibia, Verditer & Rufous-browed Flycatcher
- Slaty-backed & White-crowned Forktail
- Up to 6 spp of Flowerpecker, 4 spp of Sunbird, 7 spp of Spiderhunter