Costa Rica Birding Tour
Tour Spot Available
Costa Rica Birding
Costa Rica is a rugged, rainforested Central American country that is well-known for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity. Roughly a quarter of its area is made up of protected jungle teeming with wildlife. It’s one of the world’s biodiveristy hotspots: Costa Rica has twelve of the Earth’s eighteen different habitat zones.
The country is a tropical birding paradise. It acts as a bridge connecting the two Americas making it home as well as a migration corridor to a variety of species – 850 species of birds are recorded in Costa Rica. There are different climates in the region compounded by various altitudes (volcanoes and rolling hills) – thus creating an incredible array of habitats that offers nearly limitless birding opportunities for all types of birders.
Birdwatching in Costa Rica
Among the most sought-after birds in the region are macaws, manakins, hummingbirds, motmots, toucans, and the elusive Quetzal. You can also spot spoonbills, storks, egrets, and herons on acquatic birding locations such as the Cano Negro National Wildlife Refuge. Some of the places of interest include Osa Peninsula, Manuel Antonio National Park, and Carara National Park. During this tour we expect to see over 400 bird species! Our Costa Rica 12-day birding tour will take in the country’s richest birding locations and a variety of habitats. We’ll be staying in excellent lodges with birds on our doorstep, travelling in comfortable vehicles and enjoying great food and scenery. Join us now, spaces on this inaugural tour are limited.
Click on the links below to download the itinerary.
- Hummingbirds, Trogons, Parrots, Toucans
- Tanagers, Jacamars, Motmots, Antbirds
- Lesson’s Motmot, White-throated Magpie-Jay
- Scarlet Macaw, Keelbilled Toucan, Resplendent Quetzal
- Bare-shanked Screech-Owl, Dull-mantled Antbird
- Spotted Woodcreeper, Stripe-breasted Wren
- Orange-fronted Parakeet, Buff-throated Saltator
- Short-tailed Hawk, Laughing Falcon, Black Hawk-Eagle
- White-necked Puffbird, Pale-billed Woodpecker
- Collared Trogon, Tody Motmot, Large-footed Finch
- Flame-throated Warbler, Black-and-yellow Silky-Flycatcher
- Golden-browed Chlorophonia, Fiery-throated Hummingbird
- Long-tailed Silky-Flycatcher, White-winged Tanager
- Northern Emerald-Toucanet, Sooty Thrush, Collared Redstart
- Spot-crowned Woodcreeper, Rufous-browed Peppershrike
- White-tipped Sicklebill, Sooty Thrush, Collared Redstart